High Blood Pressure (Hypertension): How To Deal With The Condition
Heart-related troubles are probably the worst in the world. And nowadays, they occur at almost any age and could be absolutely life-threatening. One of these dangerous heart diseases is hypertension or high blood pressure which normally occurs after 40 years of age and may accompany a lot of other troubles with itself.
Here, let us view some of the aspects of high blood pressure or hypertension so that you can easily mitigate the troubles and prevent the occurrence of any other serious disorder:
We would deal with the following major aspects:
- What Is High Blood Pressure?
- Causes Of High Blood Pressure
- Symptoms of High Blood Pressure
- How To Diagnose High Blood Pressure?
- Treatment For High Blood Pressure
- Diet For Hypertension Patients
- Ways To Lower Your Blood Pressure
Let us view all these topics in a bit detail:
What Is High Blood Pressure?
High blood pressure or hypertension refers to a condition where the blood pressure of a person increases to reach an unhealthy level.
The blood pressure of a healthy human being measures 120/80. In this, the 120 mark is known as systolic blood pressure and the 80 is known as diastolic.
If your systolic reaches 140 or higher and the diastolic goes 90 or higher, this is known as high blood pressure. However, a normal human may not feel any significant troubles even at this stage.
But if the blood pressure rises to reach a level of 180/120, this is seriously dangerous and the person needs to get medical attention soon.
Causes Of High Blood Pressure:
High blood pressure could be caused due to a number of reasons. However, before we know the causes, we need to know about the types of high blood pressure or hypertension.
Hypertension can be sub-divided into two categories:
Primary hypertension develops with age and it is also known as essential hypertension. It affects most of the people and is caused due to reasons such as:
- Genetic causes, mutations, or abnormalities
- Physical changes such as kidney troubles etc. which bring about a change in your body conditions
- Unhealthy lifestyle, lack of physical activities, improper diet, and environmental changes etc.
Unlike primary hypertension, it develops quickly and often turns severer than primary hypertension. This trouble can be caused due to various reasons such as:
- Chronic use of alcohol
- Kidney diseases
- Sleep apnea
- Use of drugs
- Thyroid troubles
- Congenital heart defects
- Side-effects from the medicines
- Troubles with the endocrine gland
- Adrenal gland troubles
Symptoms of High Blood Pressure:
High blood pressure is a silent killer and does not lead to any serious condition until it turns severe. And it may take even decades for the condition to get serious.
However, once it gets serious, you may face troubles such as:
- Bleeding Nose
- Blood in the urine
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Dizziness etc.
And if you experience any of the above symptoms, it may need immediate medical attention. If you do not consult a specialist soon, this could even turn to be a life-threatening disorder.
How To Diagnose High Blood Pressure?
Diagnosing high blood pressure is one of the easiest tasks nowadays. You can either visit your nearest healthcare center and get the diagnosis at a minimal charge or buy specialized, electronic blood pressure measurement equipment.
And if you notice some change in the blood pressure, getting the assistance of a healthcare specialist is a must.
Normally, the healthcare specialist may suggest certain other tests to get a better view of the troubles you have been facing. These tests include the following:
- Ultrasound of kidneys and heart
- ECG or electrocardiogram or the test of your heart’s electrical activity
- Blood test
- Cholesterol test
All these tests would help your healthcare professional or the doctor to know about any other issue in your body that is caused due to blood pressure or if there’s any disorder that led to high blood pressure.
Treatment For High Blood Pressure:
The treatment for high blood pressure is determined by the kind of it you possess. Here is how your treatment method is decided:
In case you are diagnosed with primary hypertension or age-related hypertension, the doctors could suggest some lifestyle-related changes to be made.
And if these changes relating your food habits, living conditions, and physical activities etc. are not enough, they may even prescribe certain medications.
- Secondary Hypertension:
For secondary hypertension, it is necessary to diagnose & determine the exact cause of the disorder. For instance, if the high blood pressure is caused due to some medicine that you have been taking, your doctors would try and suggest some better alternatives.
And it so happens that your high blood pressure troubles fail to subside even after lots of prescriptions. In such a case, the doctors may suggest some changes in your lifestyle and natural alternatives might come in handy for the treatment.
Here, you need to know that just as the diseases keep on taking newer incarnations, the treatment plans too change with them.
And you need to be in regular touch with your doctor to ensure that you do not miss out on any aspect to refine your treatment with time.
Diet For Hypertension Patients:
In order to ensure a healthy heart, it is essential to pick the correct diet. Besides, it is also important to keep the high blood pressure in control to ensure preventing the troubles such as heart attack, stroke, and other heart diseases.
So if you wish to keep a check on your high blood pressure or prevent the same, you need to possess the following elements in your diet:
- Vegetables (both raw and cooked)
- Fruits & nuts
- Whole grains & cereals
- Easily digestible proteins
Ways To Lower Your Blood Pressure
You can easily lower your blood pressure with some easy home remedies and these are as follows:
- Increase the number of physical activities that you perform and exercise your body daily.
- If you are overweight, try and reduce your weight. However, do not try any unnatural pills or medications. This may increase your troubles.
- Sugars and refined carbohydrates are some of your biggest foes and you need to part your ways with them. Cut the amount of sugar and sweetmeats that you consume to ensure a healthy heart.
- While sodium is one of the biggest foes to your heart, potassium is a benevolent friend. So cut down the intake of sodium and eat foods that are rich in potassium.
- Processed foods such as chips, pizzas, canned foods, and deli meats are high in salts and extremely harmful for your heart. Try and stay away from them.
- If you remain stressed for most of the time, you need to get the help of an expert and stay away from stress. Stress can easily lead to hypertension at almost any age.
- If you are addicted to smoking, stop this immediately and altogether.
- Dark chocolates are helpful in lowering blood pressure. However, do not fall for sweet milk chocolates which are laden with sugars.
- Yoga practices and meditation too helps in lowering the high blood pressure
- Make sure you get a good night’s sleep. A sleep-deprived body stays stressed and this is an invitation to the heart diseases.
- Garlic is said to be one of the major heart-health-boosters. Include it in your diet or take garlic extract supplements.
- Make sure you consume healthy proteins such as fish, eggs, poultry, beans, nuts, chickpeas, and cheddar cheese etc.
- You can consult the experts and get some BP-lowering supplements for you.
- Cut down the intake of alcohol or avoid it completely.
- Take less of caffeinated products as these increase the risk of blood pressure & associated diseases.
- Do not miss out on your medications. Make sure you consume your medicines as prescribed by the doctor.
Also Read: Almonds- Everything That You Wish To Know
Heart diseases are never too small and when it comes to hypertension or high blood pressure, it can easily invite a number of heart diseases within a very short period of time.
So if you suspect any heart troubles or pain near your heart vicinity, make sure you consult a heart-specialist soon and get the best assistance with prescriptions to do the troubles away in a hassle-free manner.
And while you are diagnosed with hypertension or high blood pressure troubles, make sure you take your prescribed medicines on time, follow a healthy lifestyle and visit your heart specialist regularly for check-ups to ensure no further troubles.